Statement Of Intent

In my music video, I am planning on incorporating representations of different sexualities, gender and age through a narrative following a story about the complexity of sexuality attracting a diverse audience due to the topic. I am going to focus on the individuality of the artist through her personal experience of coming out retold within the video’s storyline alongside performance aspects. By incorporating a split narrative with a male couple, it will allow the audience to experience contrasting situations between a happy outcome from the boy’s perspective but also a negative one through the artist herself. This will resonate with many members of the media literate audience who could relate on a personal level to this story, and feel connected to the artist. This will appeal to the target audience of media literate 16–25-year-olds, willing to enhance their knowledge of individuality and being able to empathise with struggles that are very relevant to societal problems currently. The institution we are creating this video for is Beggars Group, an independent record company that allows artist freedom and time to develop their music in a creative way with a particular focus on punk and alternative styles of music. My video will fit well with these ideas, with its personal storyline and values, and the concept will fit with the alternative genre of the song having a similarly alternative video storyline. Intertextually, I am aiming to create a video that incorporates aspects of early 2000’s alt-rock music conventions. In the video for ‘Bring Me to Life’ by Evanescence, the camera shots of the artist herself are shot at specific angles such as a high angle shot with dark lighting, that I will include in my video to follow these conventions.

On my website, I will include images of locations, people and particularly the artist wearing the same outfits and main colour scheme to create a sense of familiarity between the two. On my main page, I will add my music video as an embedded video, with an additional link to YouTube and links in the header and footer to social media platforms that are relevant to 16-25-year-olds such as Instagram and TikTok. Also, I will add an option to subscribe to a mailing list to create an interactive appeal for the audience. Some pages that I am going to include are: Home, About, My Blog and a few more pages typical for an artist to incorporate int their websites. To make my website unique, I will create an exclusive bloopers video within my ‘About’ section with relatable and humorous clips from my music video as an alternative style of promotion. When researching into similar artists following the same genre as my song and artist, I discovered that the most frequently used designs were the use of a combined promotion of their most recent release with images and a brief synopsis of themselves as an artist, so I have decided to follow these genre conventions and to include a background of myself from the same shoot for familiarity. In addition, when considering the Beggars Group’s values and conventions, their freedom and independency for their artists allows my ideas of creating a personal, yet professional website to be effective.

In order to create a connection between my music video and website, I will add a link to the end of my video to social media platforms including my website using the same font and use my artist’s specific associated font within both products. As well as this, I am going to use a colour scheme of particularly green to link both products and create a sense of brand identity across them. This synergy between both products is particularly important in media industries not only for branding purposes, but to make them memorable and recognisable. Therefore, through having a main image background on my ‘Home’ page as my artist in the same location and wearing the same outfit as in her video, it enables the audience to remember the video and the true meaning behind it.













Comments

Popular Posts